Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Update #2

Now, for the whole reason we went to the States: Christian and Emi's wedding:

We got to NJ on Saturday and went straight to meet Sebastian, Arturo's new nephew.

What a cutie!

He's got light hair, blue eyes, and that amazing baby smell. He's a pretty mellow little baby who loves to walk (or rather be carried) about, held tight and close.

After spending some time hanging out with Sebastian, we went to meet Arturo's parents and eldest brother, Martin, at the hotel. Arturo and I gave Sebastian his gifts, both from us in Peru and some lovely clothes my grandmother picked out to send along.
Then, we lazed about the hotel room for the rest of the afternoon. I took a lovely little nap with Sebastian...who continued sleeping on Arturo after I woke up!

At night, we walked over to the nearby Outback Steakhouse for a classic American...oops, I mean Australian...dinner, followed by some drinks and more conversation back at the hotel.

The next day was the big day: the wedding. We all enjoyed a leisurely breakfeast buffet (which was free thanks to Arturo who used to work with one of the waitresses) and returned to the room to get ready.

Finally, we were all dressed, ready and in the cab to Weehawken for pictures with the Manhattan skyline behind us.
From there, we left for the marina in Queens, our departure point for the wedding cruise around Manhattan.
The ceremony was performed on-board before we left the dock. Then, we had cocktail hour, followed by dinner and dancing -- all while we were driving around Manhattan, viewing all the sights. I met many of Arturo's family members that lived in the NYC-area. Some I knew already, some I met for the first time. For me, one of the most fun parts was able to hold my own in Spanish. Although I'm sure the cocktails helpled, I finally felt confident with my Spanish and realized how much I have improved (Of course, when I told Arturo this he told me that's what he's been telling me for months).
The night moved along and we went outside to view the Statue of Liberty and the Brookyn Bridge...and then returned inside and promptly forgot all about Manhattan as we danced the rest of the night away.









The next day, Arturo and I got up early and took the bus into the city and then the train to JFK...and I went back to Lima while Arturo and the rest of his family stayed for the rest of the week to enjoy Christian, Emi and Sebastian's company, plus NYC and NJ. They went to Central Park, the Bodies Exhibit, the Brooklyn Bridge and, of course, to enjoy a good hamburger!

No comments: