Saturday, September 13, 2008

Life continues...

So, life continues...

Last weekend we met some friends out to watch the Peru-Ecuador football game. According to my favorite weekend magazine, Somos (it comes free with the Saturday paper), Peru is ranked last in all of South America for the ranking towards the World Cup. As the magazine said, "...and the surprise was...there was no surprise." But, people here still love the sport and hope for the best from their team.
"Selección peruana última de Sudamérica según el ranking de la FIFA. El unico sorprendid fue...no, no hubo sorprendidos." Somos, 6 de septiembre, 2008

To add to the excitement of the night, a bachelorette party showed up. The bride wore the usual white headress, but all of the girls wore black tops, jeans and these strange red devil headbands. They proceeded to make quite a scene...including one girl vomiting on the floor at the table next to us, several girls falling down, and lots of kisses with the old man behind the bar.

When I asked one semi-sober looking girl to take a picture, she "of course" and hopped in the photo next to Arturo. Obviously, that is not what I meant. The best part was the guys' uninterrupted concentration on the game.

On Monday, we celebrated the birthday of one of Arturo's friends' sons. Fernando and Sandra live in Brasil, but happened to be in Peru for Mateo's 9th birthday. We patriotically bought Mateo and his younger brother Mariano Peruvian t-shirts and I finally met Sandra's family.

Why is meeting Sandra's family a big deal? I had heard about how big of a family it was and how everyone got together all of the time, but I didn't fully believe it until I saw it. There were easily 50-100 people...and this was just close family!

Oh, and did I mention that they had just arrived back two days before from a week's vacation together in the north of Peru to celebrate their grandfather's 90th birthday?

Anyway, for the party, they had hired two guys to make and hand out cotton candy and had a large trampolene and inflatable jumpy slide in the yard.

Let's just say that I would have LOVED that birthday party if I was 9 years old. Who am I kidding? I would still love it! It took a lot of self-control not to kick the kids off the trampolene so I could jump on it.

Now, Arturo is climbing Pisco for the weekend with Nilo.

What kind of climbing? Ice climbing.

How high is Pisco? 5,570 meters (almost 19,000 feet)

Any other questions?

Although, I must admit that while I am really glad Arturo has the chance to go, I just saw the film "Touching the Void" last week and am a tiny bit worried. Just a tiny bit, though. Mostly, I am just so excited to hear how the climbing went and see the photos.

If you haven't read the book or seen the movie, I highly recommend it. It's an incredible true story of how one man broke his leg and then fell into a 50+ meter crevice -- and lived to tell his story.

In other news, I started studying Spanish. I hired a private tutor and, although it's only been two weeks, can say that is worth every sol (and it is a lot of soles).

I also took my first field trip with my students. We went to see Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night." Although it was in Spanish, I could mostly follow along since I knew the plot. After the show, we got to stay in the theater and have a Q&A session with two of the actors. This was, to be honest, the most enjoyable part and the questions the kids asked and the answers the actors gave were fascinating.

No comments: