Sunday, April 26, 2009

Did you ever?

It's happened again. I'm behind in keeping up with my blog. Here is a quick update so I can get up-to-date...so I can write about my really exciting week in Honduras! But, that is for another time...First...

As those of you who are faithful readers to this blog know, Arturo loves to make tacos (and they are very delicious).

He has made them for me, for his brother and family, and now...for his friends.

A group of eight of us got together and enjoyed Arturo's tacos, complete with freshly made guacamole and refriend beans with cheese.


The group all agreed: they were delicious.











The only other 'exciting' thing that happened is my school's Kermesse. What's a Kermesse? Well, I knew it was an outdoor fair, but thanks to my grandmother's crossworld knowledge, I can now say that it is a word derived from the Dutch word kermis meaning and outdoor fair or carnival.


However, to use the word 'fair' or 'carnival' just isn't grand enough of a word. I've gone to school carnivals before; they are not like this one. In fact, it's difficult to express into words the size and scope of this fair. The rides, the booths, the vendors...it was over the top.

First there were prizes. A brand new car (0 km!) was given away, along with a cruise and various other major prizes. There was also something called tombola (sp?) in which you paid 5 soles (less than $2) and won 'something.' You got a number which corresponded to a prize. There was bingo for which Playstations and other prizes were given away (the oddest prize was a purebreed dog -- we were all shocked that they gave away a life animal!).


I've included some photos to try and show you how big of an event this was...and how 'sponsored' it was. The huge coca-cola bottle is just the tip of the iceberg. Major brands and stores were throughout the event, including Telefonica (phone company), Papa John's, Bembo's, China Wok, Burger King, Llama Gas, and all of the major banks including BCP (my bank), Interbank (where Arturo works and who put cash machines inside the fair), and Scotia Bank (where Arturo's brother works and who sold all of the tickets).

There were real carival/fair rides, including the swings, ship which swings upside down, paddle boats in the lake and more.


It was officially for the Prom XXII...prom as in Promotion as in the graduating class...but the PTA (more P than T and more Moms than parents) organized the entire event, including posters and radio advertisements.


It's an annual even that, I have been told, seems to get bigger and bigger each year. I can't imagine it getting bigger than this one!

















No comments: