Saturday, November 24, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Last week I got an email from someone saying "Have a good holiday" and it took me a few minutes to realize that Thanksgiving was coming up. Of course, there is no Thanksgiving celebration here, but I did go to a celebration: Vicky's baby shower. Vicky is the woman who has worked for Arturo since he started the hostel three years ago. This was her last week as she is having a baby in three weeks. It was sort of a bittersweet good-bye...although we know we'll see her and the baby soon for a visit.

However, this was not the only 'celebration' going on this week. While Dad was in Puno/Lake Titicaca on the actual Thanksgiving day, he came back to Lima last night and we had a Thanksgiving meal together (or, rather, a version of a meal). At Dad's request, I made stuffing, as well as mashed potatoes and toasted chestnuts. As I had to work all day, there was no time to cook a turkey so we just had roasted chicken. Joining us was Elizabeth, an American woman from Maine who is here studying Spanish (she's been living at the hostel for the past two months). She brought delicious wine and dessert which helped make the meal that much better. And thanks to Dad, we had Thanksgiving plates and napkins.


Another cause for celebration is the fact that I now have a Peruvian bank account. My school contacted the bank they use and I was able to get a local account. Now, I don't have to pay 3% extra every time I withdraw money. Yeah! Also, school has come through on health insurance. As of December I will have health insurance. Although there is national health coverage - so if there was an emergency, I would be fully covered - the private clinics, for which you need private insurance, are better.

Well, now we're off to finish shopping for Dad - and if the weather is right (meaning it's windy), we might go paragliding!

Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving. It really is one of my favorite holidays...I think because it's the least commercial...and it was sad to miss it.

No comments: