Friday, December 28, 2007

Tiempo Libre - Free Time!

It's been a fun week off from work, filled with lots to do...

One day, my friend Kim and I went for a long walk and lunch. Another day we went shopping at Jockey Plaza (a big shopping mall here). She also inspired Arturo to cook his famous tacos since she gave us fantastic new dishes for Christmas - specifically for tacos as she knows about Arturo's obsession...

Arturo and I have also been shopping, but for a used car. We found one, but after the trip to the mechanic, decided it wasn't the car for us. We've got another appointment tomorrow. I really want to come back and have a car. Although there are tons of cheap buses within Lima, they are very, very slow and the routes rarely take you directly where you need to go. For example, in a taxi it takes about 30 minutes from my apartment to school. In a bus, it takes almost 2 hours and you have to transfer to two buses. So, a car is really a necesity here.

Another nice thing that started this week is exercise. I've been going to the gym again. Although I realize this is a false start as I leave for New York on Sunday and am sure I'll be eating my way through the next three weeks, it's always good to raise your heartbeat and burn some calories.

Tonight, a Swiss guest is making fondue and tomorrow we have another reunion with some of Arturo's friends from school.

Sunday I will hopefully be on an airplane. Close family friends gave me one of their stand-by tickets (they used to work for an airline) which is a blessing as it's saving me a lot of money, but it's a busy time of year so I hope I make the flight. If not, I'll be flying on New Year's Eve!

No comments: