Sunday, September 23, 2007

Una nueva amiga





Buenos Dias!
The big news of the day: I have a friend!

After a "fiesta" on Friday night, I slept late on Saturday. I hate sleeping the day away, but now I can give lessons on how to make pisco sours, the unofficial national drink of Peru - and I can say that I officially enjoyed my first Peruvian discoteca.

Then, on Saturday afternoon, I met my new friend, Kim, for coffee. Kim is an American living here with her Peruvian husband. My friend Bettina in NYC put me in touch with Kim before arriving here and, after many emails over the past few months, Kim and I met. She has been an incredible help already about life in Lima, getting a job, an apartmet, etc. Most important, though, it felt great to leave to go meet my friend. Like I have a life of my own here...or at least the beginning.

Of course, I will never forget what the Girl Scouts taught me: make new friends, but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold. In honor of that mantra (and at the specific request of Kathleen), I am including a photo of a 'last supper' in NYC before I left.

No comments: