Friday, September 21, 2007

El viaje a Peru
























The decision to move from Brooklyn to Lima was made several months ago and I am finally here. The subject of this blog is "El viaje a Peru" -- the trip to Peru. I've been here for a few days and while I am definitely thinking about the future, I also find myself reflecting on the path I took to get here. So, I have decided to dedicate this first blog to that path...

The summer began with my birthday in July, celebrating with my beloved Aunts Abbe and Stacy, Mariane, cousin Isaac and Grandma Ann in Ithaca. It was followed by many, many hours of work. My mornings were filled at school teaching incoming freshmen, followed the afternoon-evening at Brides.com working with my old Publisher and several wonderful new colleagues. Of course, I did manage to take some time to enjoy my last summer in NYC before moving out to Long Island to live with my grandmother in August (thank you Grandma for the free rent and cheap luggage storage). Before I was even settled, we were off to visit Gloversville, my parents and childhood friend Rebecca. Then, before I knew it, I was in Ireland, with my friend Sarita, to visit Brenda and Ellie, friends from my time in Korea. Brenda and her fiance John opened their home (and kitchen and 'wine cellar' to us), Ellie flew over from England, and we also were able to visit the family farm of a close friend.

Then, it was back to NYC to work at school just a little while longer before Sarita and I hosted fun-filled party with our friends. Soon after, my sister Rachel arrived from Alaska with my adorable niece and nephew. We had a wonderful week, including a trip to our favorite Prospect Park "Egg Zoo" (as Micah calls it) and a tremendous, wonderful surprise party to say good-bye. In between, I managed (thank you Rachel!!) to pack 191 pounds in two bags...oh, yes, there was quite a surcharge at the airport for that...

Now, I am here in Lima. So far I have wandered around - or rather have been led around by Arturo - my immediate neighborhood of Miraflores, including some adorable cafes and parks. Today we went to the Central section with beautiful, historic Spanish architecture. Tonight, we're going out. What exactly does that mean in Lima? I will let you know.

In many respects, I feel like I am on holiday and am enjoying every moment of it. At the same time, I am also thinking about finding a job, finding an apartment, speaking Spanish and so on (Spanish has not been flowing off my tongue, but it has not been horrible either). This coming weekend we will look for an apartment, join a rock climbing gym and buy me an alpaca sweater because it is much colder here than I thought.

p.s. I didn't know how people felt about posting pictures online so I only posted a few...

No comments: