Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Around Lima

LA COMIDA PERUANA









I love eating Peruvian food and, a couple of months ago, I decided it was time to learn how to make some of my favorite dishes. So, I bought a Spanish-English cookbook and...did nothing.

Finally, last week that changed. Arturo and I made causa, one of my favorite cold dishes which I call a mashed potato sandwhich.



If you're interested, click on the link below which includes a little description and a recipe. Just remember, you can 'fill it' with whatever you want...we used chicken, avocado and tomato. http://www.theperuguide.com/gastronomy/peruvian_cuisine_recipes/causa.html




THE ELECTION


I haven't been obsessively following the presidential election, but I have been following along to all the changes and major debates.



So, last week we went over to Anna and Rick's to watch the vice-presidential debates (plus have the opportunity to sample Anna's delicious lasagna and brownie sundaes).




CIRCUITO MÁGICO DEL AGUA
When Brenda and John were visiting in August, we went to the 'magic fountains' and loved the experience. Ever since then, we've been saying that we should bring his parents to see the fountains. This past weekend, we finally got around to doing this.

Needless to say, they were as impressed as we were. They, too, loved the different fountains, the lights, the classical music playing in the background and the overall feeling of peaceful enjoyment that the park and water fountains have. Next visit will be in December when Arturo's brother and family are here visiting from the States.

Of course, as always when we visit Arturo's parents, we stopped by their new apartment. Well, their new apartment building. Come December (hopefully), their brand-new apartment will be ready and they will be out of the rental they are now in. The taxi is blocking it, but there is a beautiful park right across from the building...

A VISIT FROM HOME
All my life, no one has ever heard of Mayfield, NY...and what an unexpected surprise when three people from there came to visit!



Adam Hannis, who graduated in the same year as my brother, called from Huaraz in the Andes to say he is coming to Lima. He stayed at Arturo's hostel and we went out to lunch together while he was here. We tried to go to the first International Food Festival of Lima, but the line was insanely long...and one guard told us there were no more tickets. So, we went to our favorite local seafood restaurant Punto Azul and probably had way more food which was just as great. The next day, Adam took off to continue exploring Peru...

...and a week later, his mom and brother arrived. They, too, stayed at Arturo's hostel and I met up with them a few days ago. We walked along the coastline, enjoying the Parque del Amor and the park where the paragliders are. In a moment, without hestitation, Debbie decided to take advantage of the chance to go paragliding above the ocean and a city of 9 million people (all for a discounted price of $35). She loved it and also loved the next place we went: Larcomar, my favorite shopping mall built into the seacliff.

SHEER LAZINESS
Today is my half-way point through my vacation of relaxation. I've got a week's holiday between school terms and we decided to stay in Lima. Arturo has a group of 25 people arriving today from Ecuador, I have a lot of school work to catch up on, and we are planning our next big trip to NY in January and are trying to save money. So far, I have done nothing and am loving it! Ahh....

No comments: