Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The first week, the first friend visit

I'm on my way to the beach for the weekend, but wanted to write quickly before heading off. This was my first week of work and the first visit from a friend.

First, about school. Despite not wanting to go back to work and despite extreme nervousness about taking on a teaching schedule way beyond what I've done before, it's been really good to go back to work. I truly enjoy the people I work with and, although the anxiety isn't gone and I have a TON of work ahead of me, I am excited about the upcoming year.

Second, about my visitor...actually friends. I am thrilled that two friends from college decided to come visit. Alexis arrived on Sunday night and we have two great days of hanging out in the afternoon (since not much was ready at school and I got to leave early). Dana arrived on Wednesday morning and met Alexis at the airport to fly to Cusco and see Machu Picchu.

Now, due to an unfortunate strike in Cusco, they couldn't fly back to Lima today. But, the good news is that they are going to Puno to see the floating islands in Lake Titicaca and have a definite flight back on Sunday morning. So, sadly, we won't get to go to the beach, but they'll get to see more of Peru (and I'm still going to the beach).

p.s. The building in the picture is not my school - it's the presidential palace. As Alexis said, it looks European...with palm trees.

No comments: