Thursday, October 4, 2007

Amazing news!

AMAZING NEWS!!

While I would rather just take Spanish classes, learn to rock climb, and explore Peru, I must work (and actually, this will help me settle into a life here instead of following Arturo around in the hostel all day).

After several interviews - and much worrying - I now have two jobs!

1.) Fodor's Travel Guides: In July, I found an ad on Craigs List Peru from Fodor's Travel Guides for a job updating their Peru guide book. I applied and after months of waiting, I am now officially hired to update one chapter in their guide book...for the northern coast and norther highlands. Luckily, I have a translator on hand at all times!





2.) Newton College: There are several British private schools in Lima and I am now the proud employee of one of them! The school year here is from March-December, as this is south of the equator and the seasons are opposite. There is a surprise opening and I have been hired for part-time work through December, and for full-time work beginning in March. The school is exclusively taught in English for all subjects. I, of course, will be one of the members of the English Department. The school is beautiful with everything that all schools should offer, but usually only private schools do. You can check out the school at: http://www.newton.edu.pe/ By the way, colegio means school here and although literally translated it means college, it does not mean the same as in the United States. Newton College includes pre-school for three year olds, a lower school (escuela primaria) and upper school (escuela secundaria).

You may be asking yourself how I will do two jobs at once. This is a question that I have been asking myself as well (actually, freaking out might be a better way to say it). The solution is this: after going to school for a curriculum meeting on Friday, Arturo and I will leave for the north of Peru. I have one week to do as much as possible for Fodor's - and thank goodness for Arturo as his help is invaluable in completing this project. I also have one week to prepare everything I need to start teaching a brand new curriculum and an international exam that I never heard of until two weeks ago. Then, I will begin teaching on the 15th of October and will do weekend trips to finish anything I need in the north. We'll see how both jobs work out...but, like most things, I'm sure that it will all get done, somehow.

3 comments:

Sweet Charity said...

Fabulous news! I can't wait to hear more about teaching and the new place. We always said that writing for a travel guide would be a dream job -- now you're really doing it!

Much love,
Effie

a life less ordinary said...

I'm LOVING reading all of your blogs, I feel like I'm taking a glimse into your personal diary. the pics are great.

I'm sooo excited for all of your great news-the apartment, the jobs!!! Your adventure sounds amazing. I couldn't be happier for you!
LOVE, Bec

Bettina said...

You rock! This is just wonderful! I knew it would all work out and I know you'll be happy at the British school. Love reading your blog!!!

Bettina