Friday, October 19, 2007

First Week of Work

I just finished my first week of work...and I'm actually looking forward to next week! So far, Newton College is a great place to teach. It's not perfect (but what is?), but it's both serious and relaxed. The students are nice people, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the beautiful campus has grass, flowers and a small lake.

Currently, I am teaching two classes, a Form II (sort of like 9th grade) and a Form IV (11th grade). Unlike in the States, it's the younger students who are easier. They are little lambs who are sweet, try hard, and really do want to learn. The older students are more interested in being 'cool' than focusing on the teacher. However, the Form IV students are two days away from taking an exam they have spent two years preparing for (the IGCSE, International General Certificate of Secondary Education from Cambridge University) . So, I can understand a little agitation at school...especially since the English exam is only one of numerous exams they will take.

In terms of behavior, it's like night and day. Even the toughest kid is easy to deal with. The 'episodes' are over before I have to raise my voice and I even get an apology without asking for one ("Sorry, Miss. I'll stop talking."). Of course, the talking doesn't always stop completely, but it's so different it's incredible. As one might expect, it's amazingly simple to get used to teaching students who listen and behave.

Of course, school problems are always the same and the problems in this school are very similar to some of the problems in NYC. For example, much like "Advisory" which started at ACORN and was dismantled after only one year, Newton has PSE (Physical & Social Education). This used to be taught by special PSE teachers, but now falls into the hands of teachers from all subjects who have a 'tutor group.' The obligations to my tutor group include: a 15 minute homeroom each day and a 40 minute period every Friday. During the Friday period, I have to teach what the PSE Coordinator has put together. Today's lesson was about drugs. Additionally, I had to look at the students' grades and put students on "report," meaning they have to have a special paper filled out and signed by their teachers and parents to make sure they are on track. Yes, this is another responsibility. Yes, this is challenging linguistically as the PSE Coordinator only creates materials in Spanish. Overall, though, this just isn't such a big deal. Having less stressful classes, less physically and emotionally draining classes, just makes everything else
easier to deal with.
The majority of students are Peruvians, but as it's a British International School, almost all classes are taught in English. While the students' English isn't perfect, sadly, it's no worse than my students in Brooklyn. There are some native English speakers, as well as some other languages, but for the most part, it's native Spanish speakers being taught almost exclusively in English. As a result, classes are divided into Top, Mixed and Lower levels. For the most part, their English abilities are what divides them into these groups.
So, despite the fact that Newton is about 30 minute drive (which means I have to leave by 6:45 a.m. every morning), I am planning on signing a full contract. I'll spend a few extra minutes to get somewhere if I know that my time while there will be pleasant. Through December I will teach part-time, 2 classes only, and starting in the new Peruvian school year in March, will have a full class load.

One of the best parts has been starting my day off with Arturo's freshly squeezed orange juice. Unbelievably, he has gotten up every morning and squeezed me a glass. Spoiled? Yeah, just a little bit...but I love it...

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Wow, that is pretty sad that their English isn't any worse than in NYC. Although I shouldn't be so surprised.