Monday, October 1, 2007

Home is more than just where the heart is


While living in the hostel with Arturo has been fine, we really need our own space. We need our own home...and now we have it!

After searching with no luck, we found the perfect apartment on Friday...I mean perfect...but the building was a little old and every window faced a concrete wall or other apartment window, so we decided to think about it. Less than 20 minutes later, we called the agent to say we'll take it, but we were already too late. Someone else had taken it. Then, our next appointment on Saturday was cancelled because someone had already taken it. This happened again on Sunday. We also found a wonderful, enormous apartment with a terrace out back, but the area was a little unsafe and there was no security in the building (much as I hate to admit it, as a gringa I need to be concerned about this).

Then, we found our nice apartment. The location is nice - 1 block from the sea and a 10 minute walk to the center of Miraflores and Arturo's hostel. The building is nice - security from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., near lots of houses instead of impersonal skyscrapers where people just rent. The apartment is nice - hardwood floor, a small 'open' kitchen with a bar-counter connecting it to the dining/living room, two bedrooms, sufficient windows, fully furnished. The furnishings are nice - brand new beds in each room, dining room table w/6 chairs, tv, dvd player, oven, blender, knives, plates, toaster, microwave, and every misc. kitchen item you can think of. Nothing is spectacular...the apartment isn't small, but it's not huge...there isn't a terrace, but we do have roof access with a great view...but it's very nice and I'm so so so happy to have a nice place to live. In fact, I'm so happy that I won't even add in my tiny complaints here (ok, just two: there isn't anywhere to keep a bike and I hate the couch).

Oh, and did I mention that we almost lost this apartment too? While we were talking about whether we should take the place or not, the next appointment arrived. As the bell rang, we turned to the agent and said "nosotros tomamos" - we'll take it! We gave the couple the rest of our appointments for the day and sighed in relief at being done with the process.

Tomorrow, Arturo will officially sign the lease and get the keys and we'll move in right away! This is the good thing about moving here on an airplane: I don't actually have that much stuff. After just one taxi ride I can be in my new home, with all of my belongings, ready to relax.

p.s. Just to give credit where credit is due, when I say "we found" I really mean Arturo found. He did all the leg work - reading the classified, making the calls, scheduling appointments, literally asking people on the street and in nearby buildings. So, in case he ever reads my blog here it is: Muchas Gracias, Arturo.

No comments: