Saturday, October 27, 2007

Just a normal week in Lima

In many ways, this is my first 'real' weekend in Peru. When I first arrived, I didn't have a job so everyday was a weekend day. Then, I went travelling...then I went away again after my first week of work. This weekend we're staying in Lima and having a very 'normal' weekend of laundry, shopping for our apartment, and a barbeque at Arturo's parents' house. After so much happening so quickly, this is exactly the kind of weekend I've been craving.

So, this blog is dedicated to a few interesting updates from the week (and then I'm off to enjoy my weekend):

PHOTOS

I finally got around to downloading photos from last weekend's trip to Huaraz. Arturo also stayed a few extra days to sort out some paperwork/legal stuff for some land he owns in nearby Mancos.
This part of Peru - the northern highlands - are incredibly beautiful. Everywhere you look, you are surrounded by snow capped mountains and bright shining sun. I am really looking forward to going back.



LA COCINA

We have been enjoying our kitchen (la cocina) and Arturo has been surprising me with his cooking expertise. My favorite meal so far has been 'taco night' which included homemade refried beans, fresh guacamole and deliciously heated tortillas. Of course, the perfect complement to this meal with a fruity cocktail made with Arturo's special vodka that he 'imported' from NY.


Arturo isn't the only one who has been in the kitchen, but I am definitely not the 'domestic' one in the apartment.


And I don't mind one bit.



ARTS FESTIVAL
Last night there was an annual arts festival at my school. It was incredible. I felt like I was in a museum. As part of the IB (International Baccalaureate), students study and produce art for two years. Last night showcased their best work in all mediums from painting, photography, digital designs, fabric, paper, charcoal and more. In addition, there were performances by the orchestra, brass band and dance groups. I so wish I brought my camera as I now feel more proud than ever of my new school (and, of course, sad that the arts have lost their place in most public schools in the U.S.).
And that's my week.
Now, I'm off to enjoy the weekend.

1 comment:

TerryT said...

Hi La Gringa!!! I just got set up in order to send you a "hello". Hello!!!!!!
I have been getting news from Ann as I haven't had the chance to sit and read the blog. As Jeff just said, "she certainly hit the ground running!" It does seem that way, but I know you had a couple of weeks adjusting. I can imagine that now that you have an apartment to call home, you both feel more settled. How lucky to have gotten the Fodor's job. What fun. I have friends who used to write for various magazines and they were able to travel on someone else's dime. Not a bad gig. You write well enough to get yourself a nice little business. Things here are pretty much status quo. The cool weather has finally settled in and fall garden chores must begin in ernest albeit quite late. Leaves on trees which would have been radient yellow at this time are still green! We received your post card and, yes, we are expecting to see you in June. At least, I think that's the plan. I know your father is visiting in a couple of weeks, so you have love from home.
I will be more attentive to your blog, and do enjoy seeing both of your happy faces.
Best to Arturo,
Terry